Sunday, May 6, 2012

Backpacking Trip

Emily and her friends spent part of the weekend in Breckenridge, Colorado so that left me alone with the kids. Because of the unusually warm weather I decided to take the kids backpacking. I wanted to get away from the crowds of people and the high mountains are still covered in snow, so I settled on Laramie Peak. I spent a lot of time hiking there 2 years ago during an elk hunt and enjoyed the topography and scenery. The drive took 40 miles of dirt road, so even though the hike in was short, it was still remote. We had a great, warm evening together and no bears bothered us(I saw 2 during my hunting trip in this area). Jecca was with us, but doesn't bark, so she would not scare off any bears. The next morning we enjoyed a hike down the canyon and caught many fish in the stream. We even found an old cabin that hadn't seen any use for 100 years. The kids enjoyed it and I think we'll do some more trips this summer.

No comments: